Most problems and conflicts either between staff or clients stem from one thing…communication. In order to fix or prevent problems, communication is the first thing to work on. Dr. Werber has some simple tips for fixing communication:
- Active listening: Repeat what you hear for clarification.
- Life Lesson: it’s not what you say, it’s how you say it.
- Turn negative criticism into constructive criticism.
- Engage in problems in private and do not publicly argue with a client or co-worker.
- Approach conflict with effective resolution versus a release of anger
- Don’t sweat the little things.
- It’s okay to be wrong. Just make it right.
With problems and conflict, especially from customers often comes negative reviews either on Yelp, social media, or other public forums. Dr. Werber shares a few of his experiences and what he has learned from them. Negative reviews typically come from clients who do not want resolution or results but simply a space to complain. So how do you handle this? Dr. Werber encourages practice managers and owners to respond graciously and publicly on the forum. While the complainant might not care for a resolution, other potential customers will see and value your response.
Dr. Werber’s passion and gratitude for the veterinary industry just pours out of him and he has so many words of wisdom to share. If you’d like to learn more about him be sure to check out his radio show on Pet Life Radio. You can also reach him via Instagram, email, or on his website.
Would You Like To Be Featured in Our Podcast?
Join Our Mailing List!
- What is the #1 cause of problems in the workplace?
- Tips for handling conflict between staff or clients.
- How to handle negative reviews.
- Why is problem resolution important?
- Is the customer always right?
- How to set boundaries to avoid future problems.