Early on in Dr. Corey Blake’s, owner of Oceanside Animal Hospital and founder of Sacred Leadership, career, she realized owning a practice is much more than being a good DVM. She became so invested in doing the best for her team, clients, and patients. Burnout was surely following. This is when she discovered Embodiment and Embodied Leadership.
Too often, we are chasing external validation and external circumstances and expecting internal happiness. In order to live and lead with joy, we have to first take care of ourselves internally. She has built these ideas into her practice to support her team members: focusing on the idea of connecting to the why by acknowledging the difference you’re making, boosting your self-talk, bragging on team members, and intentionally accepting compliments.
Disembodiment is a natural occurrence when you consider our society’s values of intellectuality and external accomplishments. This constant search leads to a chronic fight or flight, depleting the nervous system and causing burnout.
How can you stop this and get on the path to embodiment today? Dr. Blake shares these tips:
– Are you tense and anxious? Test your body by noticing how it feels to clench your arm and slowly release from shoulder to fist.
– Reframe your talk and thoughts to reflect positively.
– Get to know yourself. What do you truly like and dislike? Pay attention to your body’s natural physical no and yes responses.
Embodiment is a complex idea, but Dr. Blake does a beautiful job describing how this directly applies to the veterinary field. She leaves us with a great reminder that you cannot truly know if a career is causing your burnout until you change yourself and how you approach it. When you light yourself within, you will likely find joy right where you are!
Would You Like To Be Featured in Our Podcast?
Join Our Mailing List!
- What is embodied leadership in veterinary medicine?
- How leading and working from a disembodied state leads to burnout.
- Tips for building internal value practices into your clinic.
- Beginning your mind and body connect to become a better leader.